Friday, March 12, 2010

Showing School Spirit

I have approximately 8 hooded sweatshirts in my closet (the one at one, here I only have one). This collection consists of 4 Illini sweatshirts and 2 KU sweatshirts, the others are plain or something else I can't think of right now because I haven't seen them in 3 months. On normal days when I'm back at home, I get to pick from these options and wear my school spirit anyway I choose. I just brought my Kansas hoodie over here with me and I wear it when I want to be warm, or when I'm bumming at home. I very rarely wear it out anywhere.

At my school there is a excess number of people wearing hoodies, but they are all the same one: There simply are no other options for hooded sweatshirts. There is one. Girls wear it, boys wear it. People wear it to school for days in a row and people wear them about town so that you can spot them. Some say (possibly those who don't go to the school) that people wear them to show that they go to the "prestigious" school. (or that they're rich) I'm not sure how the school system politics go here, but I do know that I go to a "Grand Ecole" which means it is hard to get in to and that you must have some kind of financial means to attend. (I'm in a different boat because I am an exchange from a unversity in the states, so don't think I'm getting all high and mighty on you) Really I'm not sure why people wear the hoodie that much, aside from knowing the reason I wear hoodies, which is because I'm lazy and don't want to think about what to wear or I'm cold. I haven't purchased one of these hoodies yet, and contemplating if I will. But one thing is for certain, I have a lot of reminders that they exist, but sadly only one style option.

No comments:

Post a Comment