Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Classes

Classes began today and I've made some observations:


Everyone wears dark colors. I don't really know why there is adversion to color here, but everyone has black coats, boots and dark jeans. At least it looks that way in class. I have lots of color in my wardrobe, so I'm sure I'll stick out even more than I already do.


I'm not sure whether it is part of the perception that the French are rude, but everyone here talks in class. I don't mean that in a good way. I mean, they talk when the teacher is talking. A lot. Just as if they are having normal conversations. I never really realized how annoying it is until you can't understand the teacher anyway because she is speaking in another language, augmented by the fact that there is background noise makes understanding what is going on very complicated.

People here like to sit really close together. I guess they don't have the problem of everyone being really overweight, so the don't have to make seats for much bigger people, but the girl next to me was falling asleep in class today (you know, with her head on her hand and nodding off). Well I was so scared she was going to fall into my lap that I had to keep sitting straight up in my seat so that she would fall on the table in front of me, rather than on me. I also think there were about 104 students in a room for 105. Add the clothing for the 40 degree weather outside and things got a little toasty after 2 hours.

About that two hours also. So the thing about French students is that if the class starts at 2 pm, they will enter the room at 1:59. We spent 40 minutes on one slide, and while I confess I don't know what we were talking about, I'm sure it wasn't the slide...I think we diverted on some pretty significant tangents. Also, in the States, if the class is supposed to be over at 4pm, people officially shut up and stop asking questions around the 3:50 mark. Not here, there were questions up until 3:59. That student would have gotten a look of death in the States.

I'm sure there will be more observations in the days to come...but those are the initial thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment