Friday, January 22, 2010

Windows

My roommates incessantly make fun of me for an observation I made a few days after we moved into our apartment. As I was drinking a glass of wine and looking out the window of our dining room I noticed that the building across the alley has a lot of windows, and that they are all different sizes. Here's a picture of it.


The inconsistency of this makes me curious. Why did they use all different sizes and types of windows? Were some used for specific things? I don't need to know the answers specifically to the question, but I just found it to be an interesting aspect of the beautiful view from our apartment. We'd never see something like this in the States with all the standards and codes, etc... Some of the windows that are even right under the other ones are different. They might be the same style, but shorter or taller. Hmmm...

1 comment:

  1. That's interesting! It reminds me of this small tower in Amsterdam (I'm pretty sure it was there anyway). There were a bunch of different windows in random places and they all looked different. We were told that it was where men would be tested on their ability to construct a window.

    Here, I think this is a picture of it:
    http://z.about.com/d/goeurope/1/5/6/7/amsterdam_13.jpg

    ReplyDelete