Monday, January 11, 2010

Rugby

So last night I was more thoroughly introduced to Rugby. Multiple people in multiple places have tried to teach me the game. I've seen diagrams, and heard passionate exaltations as to why the sport is greater than any other in the world. I have to admit, that after watching the Clermont vs. Toulouse game, for first place in the league (I think), in a jam-packed bar, with a Frenchman and American who love the game, and engaging myself in watching the nuances of the sport, I get it. Kind of. Maybe. Sorta. See the thing about learning new games, especially when I know so many others so well, is that it takes time to fully understand why the players make the choices they do and when the team is doing well or making mistakes.
I'm sure there will be much more Rugby watching in my future, as I am in Europe and college basketball games take place when I should be sleeping. Sad really, that I have to miss my beloved Jayhawks, but one of many parts of my life that will be modified this year.
On another note, I'm never going to play the game, as I covet my teeth and ability to walk without twinging and get dressed without worrying about covering bruises, but the guys (and gals) that play this game are troopers. While walking through town the other day in approximately -2 degree Celsius, trying to keep my balance in the snow and ice, a rugby player ran (!) by wearing shorts and a long-sleeve shirt. Just plain crazy, but I guess that's another aspect of the sport I'll learn to love.

No comments:

Post a Comment