Monday, January 18, 2010

Potato Salad

So yesterday my roommates and I went to a party where a bunch of students were meeting up for a potluck. We were supposed to bring a dish to share, and wanted it to be "American". So, after some debate (and let me remind you we don't have an oven or you all know what would have been the contribution of our apartment) we decided on potato salad. My dad makes awesome potato salad, but it is much more difficult to find the goods here. Take shopping for pickles for example. We had to go to the local market because we didn't have time before the big one closed and nothing is open on Sunday. So, of the two choices available I picked the ones that looked most like sweet pickles to me. Hmmm...not so much. They were usable, but they weren't sweet pickles.
Now we'll move to celery. Apparently not readily available here, and I even went to the vegetable stand. I did see it today at the big store, but a little tougher to find, so we bought celery salt instead.
Anyhoo, the real point of the post is that I made the salad and we took it to the party and put it on the table next to the chips and crepes and fajitas that the Mexicans made. My roomie came to report a few minutes later that people were eating the potato salad with chips, like a dip. She tried to tell them to put it on plates and eat it with a fork, but some insisted that they were eating it correctly. (Now don't start thinking my potato salad presentation was all horrible or anything, it looked like potato salad) Ah, the random observations from a life such as mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment