Monday, January 11, 2010

My favorite topic

As anyone who is reading this blog knows. I love food. As yet, I can't say I've been disappointed by the culinary adventures so far. When we first got here, we decided to head to a restaurant that had been recommended, and while it was pretty good, it wasn't very French. Pizza is everywhere! I had it that night and then the next day, in between orientation sessions, we had Dominoes. Let me tell you it tasted exactly like the Dominoes at home. Strange experience though.
My favorite meal as yet though, has been the restaurant Pescajoux. We found it in the Let's Go France 2009 book. It definitely lived up to expectations. I had a galette, which is basically a crépe with a bunch of yumminess (mine had ham, cheese, spinach and creme) folded up. Then I had a dessert crépe with chocolate and chantilly. We chatted it up with the owner of the restaurant and promised to return. I'm sure we will but we'll be trying other créperies as well.
Wine has been a standard at every meal we've had. It seems like a travesty to not drink wine when it is so cheap and made so close.
We did learn the trick for getting free water though, which I am super excited about. We learned the hard way, after being charged 5 euro at a tavern for a bottle of water that we didn't really ask for. Now we know to ask for a carafe of water. Then it is free!
Cooking at home will commence quickly though, as eating out is going to add up, so we'll have to see how our culinary talents hold up with just a stove top. Soups, stirfry and pasta are in our future.

No comments:

Post a Comment