Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Snow

I'm over the snow. I have never really been adverse to the snow like some people are. I mean, I get it, sometimes it is annoying. I drive a vehicle with all-wheel drive though, so driving through it really isn't that bad. Yeah sure, it causes major delays, but I'm not important enough to have essential obligations that get me away from the cozy fire in the fireplace.
Here, though, snow is another story. Sure, it makes the landscape beautiful and when I am walking home at night with no cars on the road. The streets look pretty when they are draped with white. Then I wake up the next morning and put on the same boots I have been wearing since I got here (thank god I brought my Grand Canyon hiking boots) and fold up the bottom of my pants so they don't get all wet and gross, and I walk though the brown snow, waiting to cross streets where cars splash the muck up on the sidewalks. The snow on the sidewalks isn't shoveled so walking through it is like walking in sand. My calves are appreciating the workout.
Then there is the cold. Yeah, yeah, it is winter. As before, I get it. The good part is that I have enough layers on that nothing under my coat is cold. My poor little toes though. I have started wearing two pairs of socks, and the first day it helped quite a bit, but let's just say the heating systems here make room temperature about 10 degrees cooler than I'm used to. On a positive note, the shower in our apartment is super hot. So I've got that going for me. I just didn't expect it to be so cold, but I do have the benefit of knowing that the whole world is dealing with the cold and it isn't just me, so I'll think warm thoughts and picture myself basking in the sun on the beach. That should help, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment