Thursday, January 28, 2010

Random Things

Packing to come and live in another country for a year is quite difficult. There is first the fact that I knew I would be here for all four seasons, and then I didn't know exactly what the weather would be like when we got here. Strangely enough, from all reports we are here during the coldest period in years. We keep hearing "it usually isn't this cold here" and other such phrases. Today we went to Vichy and walked around and saw the city. It snowed almost the whole time we were there and the temp on the board was -1 degree C. Coming back to the apartment, all I could think about was how much I wanted my fleece pants...that are in my closet at home...like home in Kansas. But, at least I did have other lounge-wear that sufficed. There are many things that I find myself thinking I should have brought with me, (but as my bags were 49.5 and 47 lbs, they would not have fit) but there are other things that are completely random that I am certainly happy I brought. Here's a short list:
1. Swiss Army knife - we don't have scissors in our apt, some things are quite difficult to get into i.e. plastic encased power cord for computer
2. Grand Canyon hiking boots - great for said snow they keep my feet dry and semi-warm and they are taller than my normal shoes so they keep my pant legs from dragging in the snow too much
3. a flashlight - walking over to use the internet at night can be quite scary
4. my Nalgene bottle - I feel like a complete idiot everytime I drink out of it becuase the French drink water out of 6 oz. plastic cups, but I love the thing. It is like a neon sign that I'm American though.
5. Market bags - as reported before, you either pay for them or try and carry things home in all of your pockets. I brough two, we use them all the time
6. alarm clock - I was real happy I brought this nifty device that changes time automatically depending on what country I was in...until I promptly lost it on day 3. oops.
7. lock - I thought it would be used for my luggage (which it will) but it will also be used for the gym locker. perfect.

I'm sure in a few short months my wardrobe will become quite bland to me, but at least these things should retain their luster...

1 comment: