Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Work Ethic

This week I am taking a super work-intensive class. It is all day for 5 days, and by all day I mean it starts at 8:30, goes til 10, when we have a break til 10:30. We then go from 10:30 to noon. The afternoon session starts at 1:30 and goes til 3, then from 3:30 til 5. So yes, if you calculate we have 2 1/2 hours of a break throughout the day. I guess it is nice, but seems like a lof of time hangin out to me. Mostly it is because I don't need a smoke break and don't drink expresso. I do love being able to walk home (a 7-minute walk) for lunch. I learned in this super-intensive class though, where I am grouped with some French students, that the concept of sustained hard work is a bit foreign. To be fair, some are really good workers and contribute, but a direct quote after talking about how much work needed to be put in this week was "I'm French, we have 35-hour work weeks." Another example would be that the teacher put us in groups to answer 2 questions. We had been working for 35 minutes on a case we had already read and written a write-up on, and the teacher asked us to wrap up the answers in approx 2 minutes. We were already finished and a French student says..."That's the problem with Americans, they are always in a hurry."
Ok sure, something to be said for the leisurely, but I'd rather have an hour at the end of class off than an hour in the middle. But alas, I am American. I'm pretty sure I'm just on a different time schedule.

No comments:

Post a Comment