Thursday, January 28, 2010

Last Names

This is going to be a random post that my roommates will make fun of me about, but here's another thing I have been wondering about over here. 1. Why do they always list their last names before their first names and 2. Why do they capitalize every letter in the last name? Here are my thoughts. On the last name first, I suppose it is very similar as to in the US where there are so many of a certain name that it is just easier to use the last name. I found it interesting though, that when a French team got up to present in class, all of their names were listed on their opening powerpoint slide last name first, then first name. I mean I know it is called "Nom" and "Prenom", so shouldn't the "Prenom" come first? Just askin.
Also, with the whole last name capitalized thing, I guess some of the first names here are pretty interesting. Not your normal Sarah, Tom, Kate, etc..so to make sure people know which name is the first name and which is the last, they capitalize all the letters of the last name? I'm sure it is just the way it is and no one really knows why they do it, but sometimes things like this make me wonder...

No comments:

Post a Comment