Thursday, January 14, 2010

Kisses

So the greetings here are much different than they are at home. At home, I say hey to some one as I enter the room or the party. Here, there is a big production of having to kiss someone on each cheek once. I'm not saying it is annoying, but, ok it isn't convenient most of the time. Sometimes people's faces are cold and I'm warm. The other day I was with someone who wasn't feeling well and he had to wave people off from getting close to his face. Awkward a bit, I'd say.
Then there is the line about how well do you have to know someone to do this, bissous, thing. I mean is this a first time we meet thing, or a after we've met a few times thing? I just don't get it. Also, when a bunch of people greet each other at the same time it is like a big game of ring around the rosey. Sometimes it is quite amusing to see all these people trying to maneuver so that everyone can get their kisses in. Seems kind of like an ordeal, but I'll get used to it. Such are the customs to which I must adjust.

No comments:

Post a Comment